Saturday, March 24, 2007

10-Falls with "Pure Dynamite" Billy Roc

10-Falls with "PURE DYNAMITE" Billy Roc

"I have been associated with this business for over 8 years now through wrestling school, wrestling shows, booking and promoting shows and working behind the scenes. Through those 8 years there has been one person that really has stood out for coming the furthest in this business by using what was given him and working very hard to get where he is at today and that is "Pure Dynamite" Billy Roc. I have trained with him, worked with him in the ring and have watched him work his way into a main event style wrestler. Now my 10-Falls with "Pure Dynamite" Billy Roc........"--Randy Klemme

1) How long have you been in the business and where did you receive your wrestling training?

BR: I started my training with the legendary, Dory Funk Jr. Then when I came back to Indiana, I met up with Don Basher and trained with him for a little while. Also, I did some wrestling seminars with Scott D' Amore, Terry Taylor, and Chad Collyer.

2) What organizations have you worked for and which ones are you currently associated with?

BR: I have worked for WCWO, WCWA, ENIGMA PRO, RWF, EIPW, NEW, FEW, TNW, PWI, ARW, FIRE PRO, NBWA, AND CWF. Im sure there are a few others, but, I don't remember right now. To many stupid bumps. lol.
I am currently wrestling for IWA-MID SOUTH, CHIKARA, NWA- INDIANA, NWA- MIDWEST, INSANITY PRO WRESTLING, AND FIGHT SPORTS MIDWEST.

3) What titles have you held during your wrestling career?

BR: WCWO HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
WCWO TV TITLE
ENGIMA PRO HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
PWI HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
CWF HEAVYWEIGHT TITLE
CWF LIGHT WEIGHT TITLE
EIPW CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE
IPW MID AMERICAN TITLE
NWA INDIANA STATE TITLE
CWF MOST POPULAR WRESTLER OF THE YEAR 2003
IPW NEWCOMER OF THE YEAR 2006
IPW MATCH OF YEAR 2006 W/ MIKE QUACKENBUSH

4) Which match over your career has been your favorite and why?

BR: I would have to say my match with Mike Quackenbush at the IPW junior heavyweight tournament. Not only did that match open up, A LOT OF DOORS for myself in wrestling, Not only did I have the oppurtunity to work some LUCHA, not only did the fans throw streamers in the ring during are in-ring introductions, but, I felt like my wrestling career came full circle that night. Before I got into the biz, I would always read PWI's wrestling magazines. I never got them for the articles on the WWF, WCW, or ECW, but for the little bit of exposure they gave independent guys. Mainly EAST COAST independent guys. I would read about Quack, Reckless Youth, Don Montoya, Christopher Daniels, Ace Darling, Devon Storm and many, many others. So, many years later to be in the ring with Quack, somebody I thought I would never work, it was really a surreal moment for me. I thank Mike Williams and Greg Carey for making that moment happen. That match also won the IPW match of the year for 2006 voted on by the fans.

5) What is the toughest thing about being a professional wrestler?

BR: For me, its being so small. I have a lot of injurys. Last year I started to finally make some strides in wrestling. So if I got hurt, I kept wrestling, no matter how much pain I was in. My neck, both shoulders, both elbows, both knees, and just recently, I notice some discomfort in my hips. Im trying to eat more and get some size on me, finally. Also, Chad Collyer showed me some exercises to help out my joints. That's helped out a lot.

6) Any good road stories that you can pass along (keep it clean LOL)?

BR: I'm sure I do, but, its one of those you had to be there, to kind of get the joke. lol.

7) Are there things that you would like to achieve during your pro wrestling career? Short term and long term goals?

BR: Short term goals- wrestle out east. Soon I will be making my Chikara debut in Pennsylvania. Wrestle in the ECW ARENA. Keep wrestling great talent, I really want to work Chris Hero, Claudio Castignoli, Davey Richards, Reckless Youth, Arik Cannon, Alex Shelly, Chris Sabin, and maybe a few more matches with Mike Quackenbush.

Long term goals - I would be happy with getting, SOME, work with Ring of Honor. I would also like to work in another country, Canada, Mexico, Puerto Rico, or Europe.

8) Where did the name PURE DYNAMITE come from?

BR: When I got into wrestling I really didn't have a idea of what I wanted to be called. I made a mistake by letting a promoter make that decision for me. First, he gave me the name Billy Rock. Why? Because when he promoted the shows he could say on the flyers "tonight the Rock V.S. Joe Blow or whatever. I hated it. I didn't want the fans to think I was trying to be like the WWE's ROCK. So I asked if I could at least misspell the ROCK part, so dropped the "K" and it became Billy Roc. Then he wanted me to be "Gentleman" Billy Roc. The gimmick? I was to go out and hand a female fan a rose. I hated that, too. So after I left that organization, I was going to actually change the Billy Roc name, but, I never did. I did however decide to change the "gentleman" name. I wanted something to show off my "babyface fire". So, after a friend lent me the, Dynamite Kid book. I thought "Pure Dynamite" would be good for me. And that is the story behind the name of "Pure Dynamite" Billy Roc. Not very orignal, but, thru the years, it just kind of stuck.

9) What is the BEST thing and the WORST thing about being a professional wrestler, maybe something that you didn't realize would be that way when you started?

BR: The BEST- The energy you get when the fans are going crazy from what your doing in the ring. Its hard to explain. But, when the crowd is vocal, I feel like I can do anything.

The Worst - I am not going to go into any details or storys but, the worst thing in wrestling is ......................... POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10) If you had to tell someone what it's like being a professional wrestler, what are the three most important things you would tell them?

BR: 1. If your not serious about this business, GET OUT NOW. I have trained a lot of wrestlers and most of them have quit, AFTER, their training. They don't want to travel, They don't realize how much hard work goes into being a good worker. Some of them have familys. If your not willing to work at it, study tapes, drive hours away in hopes that a promoter, MIGHT use you, then save your money and don't even bother getting into this business. It's a lot harder than you think.

2. PAY YOUR DUES!!!!! Another reason people quit the business so soon. They have a year training, maybe 5 matches under their belt, their out of shape, they think they can work a crowd but, you can hear a pin drop during your their matches and all of sudden these kids think the wrestling world owes THEM everything. Titles, big paydays, and the respect from EVERYONE. F-YOU! I have been busting my hump for 6 years, I have worked for FREE, many, many many, times. I have put over just about everyone you can imagine, I still set up and tear down the ring for IWA-MS, and I treat EVERYONE, not just the VET'S, but, everyone respect. After 6 years, I am just starting to get a tiny, tiny tiny, tiny, little bity name on the independent level and yet, who the heck am I. Im nobody. Im still paying my dues. Youngsters, and yes, this goes out to some of my trainees, get off of your high horse, because until you make this your living and you're a household name, then who the F!@# are you. That felt good to get that off my chest.

3. IF THIS IS YOUR DREAM! Don't let anyone tell you can't do it. I was told I was way to small to be a wrestler from family, friends, and fellow wrestlers. I got beat up a lot, but, I kept coming back. I was told 2 years ago by Rob "The bomb" Williams, I wasn't good enough for his NWA-INDY federation, he only takes the best. That just made me want to work even harder. So I studied my tapes, I worked out in the ring as much as possible and worked as many shows, good or bad, as I possibly could. Then Ian Rotten, of all people, saw that I had potential, and he started using me. That right there opened up a lot of doors for me. But, thru it all, I never gave up and I never let anyone get me down. I am happy with what I have done in this business. I wouldn't change anything.

If you would like to get more information on Billy Roc you can go to billyroc.com.4t.com. Keep supporting independent wrestling.

No comments: